Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED * Part 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED *  Part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED * Part 2   Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED *  Part 2 Empty20.11.09 0:59

Quote :

American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert has been in the news this week for more than just the upcoming release of his debut album, For Your Entertainment: After putting Lambert on the cover of OUT magazine, Aaron Hicklin, OUT’s editor, wrote the singer an open letter, complaining about certain stipulations placed on the interview and cover shoot by Lambert’s management team — allegations to which Lambert fired back via Twitter. (Read EW Idol Expert Michael Slezak’s take on the matter here.)

We caught up with Lambert at rehearsals for the American Music Awards in downtown Los Angeles today, and got his unvarnished take on the dispute. We also chatted about the new album and his AMA performance, and will bring you those answers tomorrow as part of our ongoing coverage of Sunday’s awards show. The first part of our frank and open Q&A begins after the jump.

Entertainment Weekly: Let’s talk about the OUT magazine kerfuffle.
Adam Lambert: Isn’t that fun? [laughs]

We now know the behind-the-scenes dialogue between the magazine and your management team. The thing I’m curious about is, from your perspective, how does it feel to have your image managed by someone other than you?
What people don’t realize is, I am managing my image, more than maybe the editor of OUT magazine likes to give anybody credit for. My team is a team. And I really feel fortunate that 19 Management and Simon Fuller said to me, from the get-go, “We want to do what you want to do. You need to tell us how you want to do things, what interests you have,” and they’ve been incredibly supportive of me. I really mean it. I’m not being puppeted around. I didn’t want to jump onto a gay magazine as my first thing, because I feel like that’s putting myself in a box and limiting myself. It was my desire to stay away from talking about certain political and civil rights issues because I’m not a politician. I’m an entertainer. That is not my area of expertise. I can talk about relationships and personal experiences because as an artist those things involve writing lyrics and that part of my process. But I didn’t feel comfortable talking about the March on Washington. I didn’t feel comfortable, so I asked my publicist to ask the interviewer to stay away from the political questions. I take full responsibility for that. I think that the editor has his agenda and has his opinions, which I respect, but they’re not necessarily my opinions. And I wish there was a little respect for that. Not every gay man is the same gay man.

They’re gonna take away your laminated membership card.
Apparently. It’s just sexuality. We’re all very very different, just like all straight people are different.

Who told you that?
You know? That’s the thing. But the funny thing is, in order for us to progress, we need to stop segregating ourselves. And a letter like that, that viewpoint — the letter that Aaron wrote is holding us back. Because it’s recognizing the big difference as opposed to letting us all ignore preference and just be people. So I think in attempt to champion a cause he’s actually taking a big step backwards.

With things like the phrase “gay-gay”?
That was taken out of context. It was all taken out of context. And also, the other thing that I feel about it? If there are things going on behind the scenes with my management, it has nothing to do with my interview with them. He really crossed a line.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/11/19/adam-lambert-out-magazine-exclusive-response/
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk
Carol
Admin
Carol

Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED *  Part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED * Part 2   Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED *  Part 2 Empty21.11.09 1:23

Quote :
Rehearsals for this weekend’s American Music Awards are underway in Los Angeles, and the Music Mix is on the scene to bring you as much of the action as we’re allowed to see. Sadly, so far, that hasn’t been much, as yesterday’s rehearsals — Adam Lambert and Jennifer Lopez, who coincidentally leaked a song called “Louboutins” today — were closed to media.

The LA Times’s Margaret Wappler was luckier than we: she managed to sneak a guerilla peek at Lambert’s rehearsal (before being booted), and reported back that “dancers sashayed across the floor in spangly harem pants, leotards with torn tights and in one particular eye-catching costume, leather pants topped off with a few leather suspender-straps and silvery chains on an otherwise bare-chested male dancer.” We can certainly report that the bass beat of “For Your Entertainment” pounding through the closed doors of the Nokia was hella catchy, and that yes, Lambert’s high notes do carry.

We ran the first part of our post-rehearsal Q&A with the Glambert yesterday, in which he spoke openly about his feelings on the OUT magazine kerfuffle. After the jump, the rest of our short but sweet conversation: How his club kid friends have reacted to For Your Entertainment, how his “rock” voice fits in with Chad Kroeger’s “rock” voice, and which part of his AMA performance he’s dedicated to our EW.com readers. You know you wanna know.

Entertainment Weekly: So as we’re sitting here, they’re running clips of Nickelback on the jumbotrons. You call the music you sing “rock.” How does it fit in the same genre as Chad Kroeger’s sound?
Adam Lambert: Genres are old news. Genres are a thing of the past. I don’t believe in genres. That doesn’t make any sense. An artist is an artist, you can borrow from lots of different styles of music. I am singing like a rock singer at the end of my pop song. Yeah. So what?

We’ve now heard For Your Entertainment streaming on MySpace, and I’m sure the fans are going nuts. But I’m wondering what your underground club kid friends think about it.
They’re really into the Gaga song ["Fever"], because it’s just crazy and campy. I went to an art show the other night and saw a lot of the colorful club kids I knew when I used to go out, like this kid who’s a drag queen, and the Gaga song — they’re all about it. “If I Had You” — they’re really feeling that one. A lot of the kids who do the vaudeville circus performing love “Strut,” because it has that oom-pah-pah feel.

“Aftermath” is the one song that doesn’t seem to fit the rest of the album.
Sonically, it is a step out of the box — but what’s funny is, I wrote that one. It was important for me to do a song with a message that was really close to my heart, but then sonically create something that was even more accessible than the rest of the album. I feel like it’s very friendly. And I wanted to do a song that had that real modern rock sound.

If you could dedicate one part of your AMA performance to the readers of EW.com, which part would it be?
The pyro. The fireworks. [laughs]

Is that part of your commitment to glam?
Yes. Things that light up and blow up are essential to the gods of glam — the glam gods that have come before me.
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk

Entertainment Weekly -- Exclusive Q & A *UPDATED * Part 2
Page 1 of 1