Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GMA Cancelled! * Updated With Related Articles*

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty
PostSubject: GMA Cancelled! * Updated With Related Articles*   GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty24.11.09 15:16

B*STARDS!

Quote :
If you were hoping to catch Adam Lambert performing on "Good Morning America" this Wednesday, or maybe even see the free concert in person in New York, you're out of luck.

The appearance has been canceled.

According to an e-mail from a show coordinator:

"The Adam Lambert Concert on Good Morning America at the Hudson Theatre has been officially cancelled. It is not necessary to come to the theatre because it will be closed. Thank you for your interest in the show and Adam Lambert. We look forward to your attendance at future events."

(This news via BroadwayWorld.com.)

[UPDATE: 10:31 a.m. Nov. 24,2009] However, CBS has jumped at the opportunity to have Adam on "The Early Show" on Wednesday morning to discuss his American Music Awards performance, CBS News confirms.

At last count, the Ministry was pushing about 10,000 "Yuck!" votes in its poll on Lambert's performance Sunday at the American Music Awards, a show that drew 14.2 million viewers. (Though supportive votes were slightly ahead of that.)

So where are the corresponding complaints about Lambert to ABC?

There are a few kicking around, Reuters reports -- 1,500 or so -- but nothing overwhelming. The FCC couldn't confirm or deny receiving complaints.

In comparison, complaints about Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the 2004 Super Bowl were in the half-million neighborhood. (Though the $550,000 fine that was levied is still traveling through the court system.)

Time will tell, we suppose. Maybe the people who were upset worked it all out online?

Or perhaps it's more of a silent protest -- and they just won't tune in again in the future.

At least not Wednesday on "Good Morning America."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2009/11/free-adam-lambert-concert-canceled.html
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk
Carol
Admin
Carol

PostSubject: Reality Rocks   GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty24.11.09 21:24

Quote :
Today it was announced that Adam Lambert's free Wednesday concert on Good Morning America has been cancelled, reportedly because ABC, the same network that aired Adam's controversial American Music Awards performance, was skittish that he might pull the same sexual stunts that landed ABC in hot water Sunday night. A rep for GMA told TV Newser: "Given his controversial live performance on the AMAs, we were concerned about airing a similar concert so early in the morning."

In case you missed Adam's AMAs spectacle, it featured a same-sex smooch, dancers on leather leashes, a whole lot of R-rated groping, and one famously YouTubed simulated sex act. Not your typical Idol fare, to be sure, and perhaps more than ABC bargained for...although the week-long hype about the "sexy" performance should have clued execs in somewhat.

Now, was it the best move for Adam to pull all this stuff on prime time TV his first time out? Well, maybe it was a slight lapse in judgment--not because it was racy (I for one was not at all offended, although apparently at least 1,500 irate viewers who flooded the ABC switchboard were), but only because Adam allegedly didn't tip off producers about what he planned to do (he later said he did it "in the moment"), leaving blindsighted camera crew members scrambling to quick-cut to widescreen audience reaction shots and panicked staffers in the editing bay working overtime to cut out the "offensive" scenes for the show's tape-delayed broadcasts. It was this perceived secrecy that might have been Adam's undoing--let's face it, you can get away with that stuff if you're Madonna and have been in the game for a while, but as a new artist so hot out the box, it's a real risk. So to this point, I do understand ABC's skittishness a little.

HOWEVER...I think this was a risk Adam was willing to take. He seemed like a man possessed that night, a man on a mission, almost downright angry. (He didn't flash his famous loaded smile once that night, not even after he was finished singing. In fact, he topped off his performance by defiantly flipping the bird.) We may never know exactly what went on behind the scenes at the AMAs. Was he trying to make a statement after Out magazine said he "wasn't gay enough"? Was he taking a stand against people at ABC, RCA, or 19 about his unwillingness to compromise or tone down his sexuality? It's still unclear. But I think it was obvious that Adam had something to prove, regardless of the repercussions.

And oh, what repercussions!

Still, regardless of what went down and how Adam's performance was received, the folks at GMA and ABC are, in my never-humble opinion, seriously overreacting here. First of all, Sunday's American Music Awards broadcast was the ceremony's most-watched since 2002, and there's little doubt that ABC has Adam to at least partially thank for that. His performance on GMA--which would have been his first since the AMAs scandal, had it gone on as planned--would have undoubtedly garnered massive ratings (which is undoubtedly why rival CBS morning program The Early Show wasted NO time in booking Adam for its Wednesday episode).

Also, Adam is no fool. He knew after his polarizing "Ring Of Fire" performance on American Idol that he had to rein it in the following week with his much more clean-cut "Tracks Of My Tears." He knew not to don his "private collection" platform boots and eyelid-rhinestones until the Idol finale, after the voting was over. He knew to save his more pronounced pelvic thrusts and sexiest dance moves for the Idols Live Tour, and not break them out during a televised group performance of, say, "Don't Stop Believin'." So did the worrywarts at GMA really think that Adam would pull the same raunchy stunts that he did at nearly 11pm (on an AMAs show that, it should be noted, also included some very provocative performances by Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Shakira, and J.Lo) on a breakfast show? Come on.

So here's the question (and it's the question that is asked every time Adam Lambert does something controversial, which is like, um, pretty much every other day): Will his AMAs controversy and the subsequent GMA fallout hurt his career? Well, maybe, maybe not. On the plus side, if we are to believe the old adage that any publicity is good publicity, then Adam Lambert is the 2009 Artist Of The Year. He's always in the news, and as the first Idol to ever be banned from anywhere, this latest saga is one for the pop-culture history books and will surely draw even more Adam/Elvis comparisons (Elvis's pelvis once got him censored on The Ed Sullivan Show, you know). And the outcries of discrimination and homophobia will only make fans and artists alike rally around him and make him a cause célèbre. For some reason I'm getting flashbacks to when Luke Campbell and 2 Live Crew became free-speech media darlings after being banned from record stores--it had nothing to do with music, as many people didn't even approve of Luke's lyrics; it just was the principle of the matter.

But there's the minus side: This has nothing to do with music, either. Yesterday Adam Lambert released an amazing album, arguably one of the best albums in American Idol history (well, I argue that, anyway), and obviously all of his TV appearances this week were set up to promote For Your Entertainment. But his release week has been sadly overshadowed by all this controversial stuff. Hardly anyone is concentrating on how head-explodingly awesome "Music Again" and "Pick U Up" are, how goosebump-raising ballads like "Whataya Want From Me" or "Sleepwalker" are, or how stupendous his voice sounds throughout.

I was pleased when the last few weeks of Lambert media-blitzing were focused on the much-anticipated release of For Your Entertainment--the A-list collaborators, the leaked song snippets, the lyrics that diehard fans were transcribing and putting up on the Web. But now, during Adam's all-important release week, the music itself is no longer the focus, and that is why I do wonder if any publicity really is good publicity. And this is the one reason why I doubt if all this controversy-courting is such a great idea. It may boost Adam's profile in the short run, but I still think it should be all about music at the end of the day--and I imagine Adam does as well. He and his collaborators worked too hard on his dream debut to have it be ignored because the public is too concerned with all this tabloid stuff. Hopefully Adam will just knock out some fantastic performances on Letterman and The Early Show this week, and then this mess will blow over like every other "scandal" he has been through practically since he auditioned for Idol.

And on that note, I will sign off to go blast FYE in my office. And reprogram by DVR for Wednesday morning

Lyndsey Parker
Back to top Go down
Carol
Admin
Carol

PostSubject: Extra   GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty24.11.09 21:28

Quote :
Adam Lambert is taking the high road after his "Good Morning America" performance was canceled.

"Obviously I respect their decision. They gotta do what they gotta do," the "American Idol" runner-up said on Ryan Seacrest's KIIS-FM radio show Tuesday.

See 30 photos of stars at the AMAs

ABC cited Lambert's "controversial American Music Awards performance" -- in which the singer kissed a male band member and simulated oral sex -- as the reason behind nixing his appearance.

Check out photos of Lambert's performance

Lambert went on, "Obviously it's too bad. I think there were a lot of fans that were excited to see me here in New York tomorrow, so I think that's probably kind of disappointing for them, and I feel bad about that."

"But I don't feel like I owe anyone an apology for anything," he went on. "I performed. It was late-night TV. I did something that female performers have been doing for years. It's just the fact that I'm me, and it's a little different for people. It's really not that big of a deal."

Lambert points out that other performers pulled controversial moves on the show as well. He says Rihanna appeared on-stage with guns, Eminem rapped about rape, Janet Jackson grabbed her crotch and Lady Gaga smashed whiskey bottles on a piano.

But he reasons that ABC "probably had a lot of pressure coming at them from certain people who weren't happy about it. And they have to do what they have to do. I don't necessarily agree with it."

As for parents who complained, Lambert -- who will perform on the CBS "Early Show" Wednesday morning -- said he's "not a baby-sitter. I'm a performer!"

In the end, "this is not that big of a deal. I think a mountain has been made out of a molehill... it got a little sexual. It wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm a sexual person."

Read more: http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/11/adam_lambert_too_bad_gma_cance.php#ixzz0XoZLdZIi
Back to top Go down
Carol
Admin
Carol

PostSubject: Re: GMA Cancelled! * Updated With Related Articles*   GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty24.11.09 21:33

Quote :
Adam Lambert fans have had an exhausting 36 hours. First, they had to defend their man's salacious (and pitchy) display at the American Music Awards Sunday night. Then word spread early this morning that "Good Morning America," ABC's morning show, had pulled the plug on Lambert's upcoming appearance. (An ABC spokesperson said, "Given his controversial live performance on the AMAs, we were concerned about airing a similar concert so early in the morning.")

Lucky for Adam fans hoping to catch the Glittery One live in NYC, CBS stepped up immediately and announced that they will be hosting the Lambert performance on "The Early Show" tomorrow morning. Hope you like glam pop, Julie Chen!

All this back-and-forth got us thinking: If Adam Lambert did end up stuck without a high-profile gig to promote his just-released CD For Your Entertainment, here are five other media appearances we'd kill to see happen. Looking for controversy, Adam? Try one of these on for size!

Adam Lambert at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Picture this: Adam and his band rocking "If I Had You" on a giant glittery float slowly moving down Fifth Avenue, passing by creeped-out families who trekked in from New Jersey for the day. And think of the creative ways Adam could use a giant Dora the Explorer float in his act!

Adam Lambert at the NFL Halftime Show
If Adam's looking to shock, his aggressive in-your-face sexuality couldn't be a worse fit for the macho atmosphere of NFL games. Although let's be honest: The Green Bay Packers should rock out to "Strut" in their locker room. That song gets you pumped!

Adam Lambert on "Maury"
Lambert's hardcore fans claim to get pregnant from merely seeing pictures of his Glitteriness. Maury Povich could fill the audience with his most delusional followers and do paternity tests. "Glambert696969, Adam is not the father of your glambaby!" Also, something tells me Adam's "I'm not the daddy" dance is pretty fun.

Adam Lambert on "Martha"
The showdown would be epic. While showing viewers how to make their own leather-and-lace reusable diapers, Martha would give Lambert a tongue-lashing for being a "party boy." Yes please!

Adam Lambert Appears On Any Talk Show And Sounds Great
Here's a novel idea! Adam Lambert could show up for a gig and sing the way he did on "Idol!" You know, in tune! And not out of breath! At this point, a solid vocal might be the biggest shock for America yet. I want my old Adam back! You can keep the kinky stage show, Mr. Lambert. Just remember to bring your vocal chops with you next time! Sources say his pre-taped performance on "The Late Show with David Letterman" (which airs Wednesday night, November 25) was divine, so this one may actually come true.

What do you think of ABC's decision? Have you reset your DVR for CBS yet? And what other Adam media appearances — real or fictitious — are you looking forward to?

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/11/24/adam-lambert-ama-controversy/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GMA Cancelled! * Updated With Related Articles*   GMA Cancelled!  * Updated With Related Articles* Empty

Back to top Go down

GMA Cancelled! * Updated With Related Articles*
Page 1 of 1