Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is it still a man's world?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

Is it still a man's world?  Empty
PostSubject: Is it still a man's world?    Is it still a man's world?  Empty13.07.10 0:33

Quote :
There was uproar recently over this music video for Kylie Minogue's All the Lovers, which happens to feature men kissing each other after stripping to their underwear. Never mind that the video includes men kissing women, women kissing women and even a threesome. Why is men kissing men a bigger deal than two women kissing?

For years we've been exposed to female celebrities kissing on stage at award ceremonies to shock the audience. The press always play it up as being shocking but are always playful about it. Rarely do two women who kiss on stage feel much heat from it.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case when it comes to two men, as American Idol finalist Adam Lambert discovered at the American Music Awards this year when he kissed a fellow dancer and thrust his pelvis into the face of another with dance moves that simulated oral sex. This was in a performance that went out at 11pm, so it's not like it was tainting the minds of children, yet the amount of media heat and criticism he received for it made me think he had abducted someone's kid! I don't understand why there's such contrast between two men and two women - what's the difference?

Every female celebrity appears to be admitting to being sexually attracted to women or willing to have sex with a woman, yet they say they could never be in love with one. I don't doubt that this is true for some of them but, much like adopting babies from foreign countries, it seems once a few people have said it then everyone starts doing the same thing.

GolfTwo women kissing has become so mainstream and considered to be "hot" or "sexy-cool" that we hardly notice it now. When Scarlett Johansson and Sandra Bullock kissed at the MTV Movie Awards, the kiss itself was hardly considered newsworthy. So many straight men like seeing two women get jiggy with it that I feel safe speculating that this is why there's a stark contrast in the handling of such stories. Generally, those in charge of the global media conglomerates and other large corporations are straight men who, like in many organisations, are a part of "the old boys' club".

New Zealand still has plenty of senior management teams with this "old boys' club" mentality. Even though there are women in senior management here, I still get the impression they find it tough to have a presence and truly feel a part of the team. Unless they like playing golf, going fishing or smoking cigars out on balconies, "DENNY CRANE!", then it seems the only solution many of these women reach is to "man-up" and abandon their gender in order to survive and succeed. Personally, I don't think that should be the case and it's time we revolted against the "old boys' club" way of doing things. Time for some Muse to get us in the mood ...

Do you think it's still a man's world? Have you ever come up against the "old boys' club" or does one exist in your workplace? And to the working girls out there, have you ever had to "man-up" in order to relate to senior management?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/over-the-rainbow/3911578/Is-it-still-a-mans-world
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk

Is it still a man's world?
Page 1 of 1