Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Second to none

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

Second to none Empty
PostSubject: Second to none   Second to none Empty23.02.10 2:21

Quote :
When Adam Lambert was pipped at the post in the finale of last year's American Idol, entertainment websites were clogged with messages of outrage. "OMG America. Kris Allen? Really? America, you let us down and worse, you let yourself down," wrote one angry blogger.

Overlooking the eyeliner-wearing rocker and huge Freddie Mercury fan was not just a bit of bad luck dished out on reality television, it was a national disgrace. Even Lambert later insinuated in his official "coming out" spread in Rolling Stone magazine that his sexual orientation had swayed the final vote.

But that was then. While Lambert may still hold the same belief, his fans can at least feel vindicated by the fact that his debut album, For Your Entertainment, has outsold Idol winner Kris Allen's two-to-one in the US.

You won't catch the 28-year-old singer gloating, though. "It feels amazing but it's all relative," he says. "You come off a show like American Idol and you're on top of the world. But it's very easy to fall into obscurity. It's happened to past Idols."

It is perhaps this prospect that has driven many of Lambert's decisions in the last few months. Top of that list is his controversial performance at last year's American Music Awards, where he took a male dancer's head and pulled it towards his crotch before embracing his keyboard player in an open-mouthed kiss.

If Lambert was ready to share his sexuality with the world, America was not. His actions drew comparisons to Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the 2004 Superbowl and raised not only the ire of the television network, but also the attention of the US broadcasting watchdog.

"The aftermath of the whole situation was shocking for me," he says. "I didn't realise how much of a big deal it would be ... I thought it would just raise a couple of eyebrows and get people talking."

Musically, Lambert has also gone for the wow factor. On his debut album, big theatrical tracks such as the first single For Your Entertainment sit happily alongside infectious pop gems.

"We went into the producing process wanting to do something a little different and not so cookie-cutter," he says. "And I'm really happy that it turned out that way. It does have commercial tendencies and catchy lyrics, but it's not as mainstream as your typical Idol record."

His remarks could be construed as a subtle swipe at the British music mogul Simon Fuller and his Idol franchise, which gives desperate kids a shot at 15 minutes of fame and then turns the winners into hit-making machines.

And if, indeed, that is what he's saying, he's got a good point. The show, now in its ninth season, has spawned the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jordin Sparks - all winners. But, after a shake-up of judges - Paula Abdul out, Ellen DeGeneres in and, more tellingly, Simon Cowell's imminent departure - there's plenty of unease about its future.

Lambert, however, isn't so quick to write it off. As he sees it, it's not about who sits on the judges' panel week-to-week, it's about the calibre of talent.

But can the show really survive without a Machiavellian figure like Cowell? "Yes, I think so," says Lambert. "Times are changing, so why can't the judges? Plus, I think Ellen is great. She's so smart and charismatic. I think she brings an everyman's view to the panel and I think that is important because ultimately it is the public that buys the music."
* Adam Lambert's debut album, For Your Entertainment, is out now.
By Paula Yeoman

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10627811
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk

Second to none
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: Daily Posts From 2010-
Jump to: