Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres Empty
PostSubject: Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres   Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres Empty09.01.10 1:11

Quote :
Randy Jackson had plenty to say on Friday about "American Idol," as the popular judge covered a variety of topics such as Adam Lambert, new judge Ellen DeGeneres, and some of the show's audition process.

Below are the highlights from Randy's "American Idol" press conference:

On if he's getting tired of hearing the bad performers:

"You see, somebody great wins the show...you just wonder "what are they seeing that I'm not seeing?" So I'm getting a little impatient with that."

On working with Ellen DeGeneres:

"We had many great [guest judges]. I've known [Ellen] for quite some time...I think we're going to have a funny, interesting season ahead of us. There's going to be a lot of laughs."

On what he will miss about Paula:

"We speak all of the time...she was one of our best friends and she still is. We look down the table sometimes and go 'where's Paula?' It's going to take a little getting used to."

On Simon Cowell's rumored departure:

"I really don't know until I really hear it from it from him...we got an exciting season ahead of us...the rumors get so wild and crazy so you don't know what do believe.

On if Paula would be great on "X Factor:"

"I know she's going to be back on something in a huge way because she's mad talented."

On if Simon is a "mean" judge:

"He's not really mean. You can coin his phrase, 'I don't mean to be rude"...but he's honest from his perspective. I would call him 'very stern.' It is going to be a very interesting, wild, crazy season."

On this season's crop of contestants:

"Where are all the ladies? I think there's some really talented girls that show us this time...this year, you would have thought there would have been a lot more Adam Lambert and Kris Allen types that showed up. But that really didn't happen this time. I think it's going to be really exciting and very different.

"I think all those Lady Gaga style [performers] need props...this season we've got some really bona fide singers without any of the affectations. It's going to be different to see how it pans out and stands the sands of time."

On the guest judges:

"They all bring something different to the table...these are all performers in their own right who have claimed massive success in their own fields. Simon said that some people were more in the 'fear factor' zone with Mary J. Blige. Katy Perry and Avril Lavigne brought something very different. People will be very surprised in what Joe Jonas's input was, what Neil Patrick Harris's input was."

On what audition cities stood out:

"I gotta tell you, for me, Orlando was really strange...but, I think Dallas was good, I think surprisingly Atlanta was good. I'm saying that because Atlanta's the hometown of Randy Seacrest."

On if the Simon Cowell rumors are a distraction:

"I don't know if it's definitely been a distraction, at least not for me...listen, there are contestants. This is a singing competition! What is this really about? Not to belittle what we do, but let's focus that this is about finding that next superstar talent."

On why Dallas stood out:

"We never know what cities are going to turn out to have a broader range of talent...I think Dallas and Atlanta were two standouts. I can remember times when we were in Texas when it wasn't good. But the first season we found someone amazingly talented in Kelly Clarkson."

On Adam Lambert's American Music Awards controversy:

"Listen: Adam is a giant personality, he's unbelievably talented. The AMA thing is something he really wanted to do and try, every artist has an idea of how they want to do things. He's a far bigger personality than Kris but I think they're equally talented. Kris obviously won for a reason. Allison [Iraheta] has a new album coming out. I wish them all the best."

On if the producers like to mess with them by bringing in 10 bad performers in a row:

"I think that sometimes...I think someone's trying to drive me out of my mind!"

On what he wants to see the contestants do:

"I often look more forward every season to see the kids sing current music. Winning the show or coming wherever you come in. The only thing you're gonna know is that you're going to have a shot to go against the contemporaries."

On if there was a point Adam Lambert and others became a star.

"I saw Adam day one he auditioned...I saw Kelly Clarkson day one. I truly believe that stars are really born. They are cultivated, and they can be made into bigger and brighter stars."

On what Ellen will bring to the show:

"I think her just being a diehard music fan and a talented person herself...she knows about performing and entertaining...she'll give the expertise from being a fellow entertainer that's hugely successful. These kids all want to be huge entertainers...she'll give the perspective of the people at home."

On the future of "American Idol:"

"I think the show can really go on for a long time."

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11363-Dallas-TV-Examiner~y2010m1d8-Exclusive-Randy-Jackson-on-American-Idol-Adam-Lambert-and-Ellen-DeGeneres
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk
Carol
Admin
Carol

Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres   Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres Empty12.01.10 2:08

Quote :
About 15 minutes into a conference call with reporters, Randy Jackson had answered several questions about the ninth season of “American Idol,” including the guest judges who will chiming in during the audition episodes, new permanent judge Ellen DeGeneres and the showmanship of Season 8 runner-up Adam Lambert. Those were expected questions, and sprightly answered, but there was something missing.

That is, until the next question.

“I know there are a lot of questions about Ellen, and the guest judges,” the male reporter asked. “But I think there’s also some contestants and some singing?”

Which cracked “The Dawg” right up.

“I like you!” said Jackson, one of the original judges of FOX’s entertainment-palooza. “…People get a little sidetracked…There are contestants, and this is a singing competition. It’s like ‘Wait a minute! Let’s focus on what we’re judging, which is about finding the next superstar talent!’”

It’s not surprising that so much of the interest was about the hype surrounding “Idol” and not the singing, as FOX spends a lot of time focused on that hype to advertise its still mega-popular show. It’s sometimes hard to remember that at the center of it all is the dangled carrot of worldwide musical stardom, and that lives are about to be changed.

But Randy apparently hasn’t, and even though he was happy to answer questions about the nuances of Nick Jonas’ judging style (Randy was impressed) or how auditioners reacted to being judged by the powerful, seriously talented Mary J. Blige (Randy says they were a little intimidated), he seemed most enthusiastic about the questions about, you know, the contestants and the singing.

“This is (shaping up to be) a unique cast. We have some singers who have some good bonafides, good stand-in-your-shoes singers without all the props and the affectations,” says Jackson, who, if anyone remembers, was a well-known producer, musician and one-time touring member of Journey before his “Idol” fame.

“It’s gonna be different, to see how it pans out once (the auditioners) get on the show,” he continues. “Once the show gets running, sometimes they crumble under nerves and everything. There are really some good singers this season.”

One of the things that surprised Randy, he says, is that there weren’t more auditioners who were either glam rock belters, like Adam Lambert, or earnest singer/songwriter types like winner Kris Allen — “Usually, whoever comes in one or two (in the finals), you have a lot of those types of people auditioning, like it’s a signal to everyone at home like ‘Now it’s time to try out for ‘American Idol.’”

What there was this year were enough talented female winners to perhaps net “Idol” its first female winner since Jordin Sparks won in 2007, he says – “I sat there last season like ‘Where are the girls?’”

And indeed, during last season, the finalists were overwhelmingly male. By the Top 8, there were only two female contestants left. Hopefully, Randy says, things will be a little more even this year.

I have to say out pleasantly surprised to find how much Randy seems to be about the music and the show and not about the fluffiness surrounding it, since his judging is often full of nonsense hyperbole (”Dude, dawg, that was molten lava Dominos pizza cheese hawt!”) or, even worse, seemingly about the show’s agenda rather than what he’d just heard (he would gush about apparent producer favorite Danny Gokey on nights when everyone else on the panel and in the blogosphere knew he was just, as Randy says, “A-ight.”)

And he spends far too much time booing Simon, which is ridiculous and juvenile. All of this is annoying and hasn’t a thing to do with the singers (and all that time wasted antagonizing Simon when there’s a kid standing up there having sung their heart out, is pretty disrespectful of that kid), and so I was happy to find that Randy, at least in interviews, is friendly and serious about what the contestants are going through.

For instance, someone asked Randy if he was ever annoyed at the number of time-wasting auditioners who show up each year knowing that they can’t sing.

“I am growing a little impatient. I mean, they’ve watched the show for, what is it now, eight years? And somebody great always wins the show, the Top Ten are all usually great singers,” he says. “What are they seeing that I’m not seeing? We’re not on the same page here.”

He also had some interesting observations about Ellen, who replaces original judge Paula Abdul, “who’s always near and dear to my heart,” he says.

“It’s gonna be a funny, interesting season, a lot of laughs,” Randy says. “(Paula’s absence) is gonna take a little getting used to, but we’re welcoming Ellen into the fold. It’s a good look. She’s funny, charismatic, and my home girl from Louisiana…It’s been talked about a bunch, but there’s her just being a die-hard music fan, and a performer and entertainer as well. She knows about that – that’s how she’s made her career. She brings the expertise of being a hugely successful person (who can) give the layperson at home’s view, give the at-home viewer a real voice.”

How successful that is remains to be seen, because I think the at-home viewer already has a voice, and since that voice has said “We like Sanjaya,” I’m not all that impressed with them sometimes. But Randy’s got a point. I’m excited to see how this all plays out. And how often he says “Dawg” and if he goes back to wasting time, booing Simon.

http://www.pbpulse.com/music/2010/01/11/american-idols-randy-jackson-on-season-9/
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk

Randy Jackson on 'American Idol,' Adam Lambert, and Ellen DeGeneres
Page 1 of 1