Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting & Promoting Adam Lambert in the U.K.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AMERICAN IDOL THE PROBLEM: THE CONTESTANTS?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Admin
Carol

AMERICAN IDOL THE PROBLEM: THE CONTESTANTS? Empty
PostSubject: AMERICAN IDOL THE PROBLEM: THE CONTESTANTS?   AMERICAN IDOL THE PROBLEM: THE CONTESTANTS? Empty05.01.10 19:53

Quote :
Okay, last year I hated American Idol. If you remember, I even refused to rate the participants like I usually do. This year, while I am withholding judgment on the talent, the show's concept is really irking me and I'm not sure if I will be able to watch.

Why, you wonder? Well, I've decided to do a series of articles on what is wrong with American Idol. This piece will deal with the contestants!

Let me say upfront that the contestants have changed from the time of what we got with Kelly Clarkson and what we had with Adam Lambert. Season one saw contestants who seemed to really want to be 'pop' stars. While they may have had some experience and done 'local' albums, none of them had toured, sang back-up, or even thought they'd leave their hometowns. Season two saw similar results with both seasons being enjoyable because you cared for the performers. This seemed to be the case for the first few years of the show; but, as the years progressed, more and more contestants came out of the garage band mentality. For the past few years, at least one of the contestants came in with a career in music in the past and using the show as a make-or-break-it career move.

First, let me say, this is not a bad thing. If there is no restrictions in the rules, and apparently from what I've seen there isn't, then the application process should be open to all. Yet, doesn't that detract from the amateur aspect of the show. Would we have cared whether Kelly or Reuben (or even Clay) had won if we had known that they had been down the road before? I think back in the early days of American Idol that the fans realized that it was the only opportunity that people had to live their dream. These kids came out and sang their hearts out and didn't worry about glitz, glamour or stage presence. They had a goal, a recording contract, and they knew they had to perform to get it.

The early shows did not worry about lighting. Every person had basically the same backdrop, the same options at picking their clothing, and the stage was designed so they performed and left. As the years progressed, people were allowed stools, the floor, and more control over what they wore with jewelry being loaned to the ladies. Last year was the first year I thought that the contestants were getting more vocal in how they wanted to be perceived on camera. Have you ever stopped to think that Adam's performances were always a little different in presentation and theatrics? Yes, maybe it came from his theater background, his having been in the business so to speak, but that also put him at a huge advantage over the other contestants. Don't think I'm picking on Adam because I know others used these subtle differences to infuse or enhance their act but even they didn’️t have it down to Adam's ability. I think back to the brilliant white light entrance Adam used and wonder if say Anoop or Danny or Michael had had the knowledge of presentation that Adam used would it have made a difference?

In the early seasons, the contestants basically sang the song as it was written and used the accompaniment that was given to them by the show. All along, I felt contestants should be allowed instruments if they could play them. Season 7 saw the start of that with the use of instruments in performances. Season 8 though took it a step further and let the contestants rework the music to suit their style. Don't throw it back at me that David Cook did the same thing with Billie Jean! Yes, he sang a different version, but he did research and found the vocal arrangement on the web! The moment I knew the show was veering into a different scope was the night Adam sang 'Ring of Fire.' Gone was the Johnny Cash version and the version that Chris Daughtry had sung. Adam's version suited his style but was unrecognizable. While Adam should have the ability to express himself, you still owe honor to those who have gone before. And by not acknowledging the work they have done, or the groundbreaking they have caused, is short sighted. In the future, a singer who has done that will be faced with the same issue. My comment: If you did it, you can't complain!

American Idol has changed from the make a star to recreate a star. How will the contestants be seen this year? Will they be amateur or with background and using this show to make their way in the world? Since, we're only seeing glimpses now, who can say. Will I watch? Well, that's still up in the air. I do have to have something until Glee comes back but I honestly don't know if it is American Idol. I miss the Kellys, the Reubens, the Carries who came on the show to try and get that elusive contract in their hand. I have nothing against Adam or Kris from last year, but to me the early days will always be the best!

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5979:american-idol-the-problem-the-contestants&catid=101:american-idol-2010&Itemid=80
Back to top Go down
https://ukglamberts.forumotion.co.uk

AMERICAN IDOL THE PROBLEM: THE CONTESTANTS?
Page 1 of 1